On April 19, 2017 the Governor of West Virginia, Jim Justice, signed a bill that would allow a medical cannabis program. The West Virginia Senate passed the bill by a 28-6 vote on March 29, 2017 and passed the House on April 4 2017 in a 76-24 vote.
Patients will not have to pay a sales tax on medical cannabis. However, there will be a 10-percent tax on sales from growers/processors to dispensaries.
Patient Registry or ID Cards Program?
Medical cannabis cards will not be available until July of 2019.
Cannabis Possession Limit:
The West Virginia bill does not allow full natural plants or smoking, but does allow pills, oils, gels, creams, ointments, tinctures, liquid and non-whole plant forms for administration through vaporization.
West Virginia became the 29th state to legalize medical marijuana on April 19, 2017
Important Cannabis Laws
- Federal Employees, Smoking Pot and Working in DC
- UPDATE: Trump calls drug czar pick “a great guy” but he will “look into” connections to big pharma
- How Congress helped drug company lobbyists derail the DEA’s war on opioids
- A Life: Ernest H. Bridge Jr., 1935-2017; ‘He Was Just a Really Hard-Working Guy Looking for New Ways to Do Things’
- Survey: 11% of DC Area Government Employees Have Bought Legal Marijuana